Sunday, October 4, 2015

To Medicate or Not



I often get asked about medication for OCD in our children. First let me say the medications mostly used for OCD are anti depressants. I am not for medicating every child for every thing there is, but I am also not opposed to medication when it can help.

We did choose to medicate, before I go any further let me explain that our daughter does not just suffer from OCD but is also on the Autistic Spectrum. We tried the anti depressants with no real relief. We now treat the Autism and that has helped her a lot.

My point being is never let anyone pressure you into giving your child medication, you do not have to unless you feel it is necessary. We chose to look at medications because our daughter was physically making her self ill. She broke out with stress hives, would retain her bowels and have constipation, was this due to OCD or Autism? I believe it border lined both.

It is not an easy journey to move into meds, my advice is to have them start at the lowest dose possible and move up from there. Note any side affects you are seeing. Weigh it all out.

I also know many swear by diet, many can control OCD and behaviors by using dietary changes. The one that comes to mind is to cut out all Gluten. I emphasize though if this is something you are considering, everyone has to be on the same diet. I remember when my Sister tried to put her son on a diet thinking he had ADHD, but did not apply it to the whole family, that kid was worse then ever before, was it from the diet? No it was because it was not fare for him to not be able to eat what everyone else was eating. When ever we put our young children on a restricted diet it is very important as a family to support that decision by doing it as a family. Children do not understand.

So do we medicate or not? This is not an answer I can answer, it is a difficult decision and one that I will not support one way or the other. That is not to say I will not support you in your decision but I feel very strongly it is a decision that needs to be made by you as the parent. Never lose control of your role as a parent, you have to stand strong to what you feel is right for your child. Never ever, think just because you try medication and discover it is not right, that you do not have the right to stop it all. Never loose sight of the role you play in knowing your child.

No comments:

Post a Comment